[aprssig] 1200 vs 9600 baud (was: Tracker3 9600 baud balloon tracker beta offer)

Derek Love DLove at app-tech.co.uk
Fri Dec 20 04:56:24 EST 2013

Have you looked at the "self-organising" TDMA scheme used in AIS? Something like that may be suitable for your needs, especially as it is no longer patented.

I looked into 9600 operation a few years back, and had a number of issues, the principle one being that the preamble and frame synch were poorly defined and then were further confused by the addition of the "data scrambler" which appeared to be applied to both preamble and frame synch as well as the data payload (which made no sense to me). At higher symbol rates, it is imperative that the receiver have a good solid, reliable and tightly defined frame synch to lock onto, otherwise all the following data is lost.

Even AIS didn't get it quite right and I have to look for 4 different versions of preamble and frame synch to cope with the vagueness of the standard.

And FEC is essential..... ARQ mechanisms are a pain in the a*** and just chew up bandwidth.

Derek Love, Applied Technology UK
+44 1749 881130