[aprssig] are new symbols intended to be supported yet?

Pete Loveall AE5PL Lists hamlists at ametx.com
Wed Dec 4 10:10:04 EST 2013

Andrew,

I did not say you made the arbitrary changes.  Bob's web site is not the spec.  It is his unilateral, in many cases arbitrary, additions that he considers to override the spec.

The red diamond symbol (ARES in the text list) has always allowed overlays and the symbol has been used for more than just ARES for over a decade (I gave you the example of Winlink packet station objects).

Most, but not all, D-STAR repeaters that send a repeater object to APRS-IS are also D-PRS IGates.  However, those are 2 completely different functions and the D-PRS IGate packets are posits, not objects.  This is a significant difference.  There are also many D-PRS IGates that are not collocated with a D-STAR repeater.  Just because they are collocated does not make either one "more important" than the other.

Bottom line: that is what symbol is used for D-STAR repeater objects and has been for many years.  It was considered acceptable and recommended when implemented and any subsequent arbitrary change to the specification symbol list by Bob or anyone else doesn't make it any less acceptable or proper.

My recommendation: write to the spec, not Bob's web site and then add features from Bob's web site as you see fit.  Bob's web site does have some good clarifications of the spec and additions but they are not "the spec".  Also understand that there are and will be many clients that will not implement many of those "new features".

73,

Pete Loveall AE5PL
pete at ae5pl dot net