[aprssig] are write-only APRS-IS clients valid? (dynamic Map?)

Tom Hayward esarfl at gmail.com
Tue Dec 3 13:01:22 EST 2013

On Tue, Dec 3, 2013 at 8:19 AM, Robert Bruninga <bruninga at usna.edu> wrote:
>> ... Maybe Lynn could do this for us, but with actual coverage data.
>> He is the keeper of some valuable data!
>
> Actually, anyone can get the data.  Just monitor an unfiltered stream for
> say 4 hours and one should have all the data needed.

I was referring to the non-dupe-filtered data Lynn collects from his
APRSIS32 software. This provides a much better picture than the
dupe-filtered APRS-IS feed. I hadn't heard that he'd made this data
public, if that's what you meant.

I publish non-dupe-filtered TNC logs for a digipeater/igate I help
admin. This data is useful to anyone in the Seattle area. It's my
understanding that Lynn essentially has logs like this for every
region with an APRSIS32 igate.

http://northwest.aprs2.net/BALDI/

>> I know of digis in my state that don't reach igates or at least don't
> always reach igates.
>
> Yep.  Then by definition, the network is "not working for messaging" in
> that area.  Fix that problem first.

We're working very hard to expand IP data coverage to these sites via
5.8 GHz microwave. I'd be very happy if every digipeater in the state
was also an igate. Zero-hop messaging would be substantially more
reliable than what we have now. Here's a link to the project:

https://www.hamwan.org/

Tom KD7LXL