[aprssig] are write-only APRS-IS clients valid?

Dave Torrey kd8gbh at woodsidelane.net
Mon Dec 2 15:41:20 EST 2013

Ok, that clears it up for me quite a bit.

I'm running a receive-only iGate (let the beating begin).  It's aprx,
and I believe it has an integral server (it offers the usual TCP ports,
among other things).

I have been asked several times to turn on gating back to RF.  I'm not
opposed to it, but haven't gotten around to it yet either.  If I do, and
I understand you correctly:

1) If I add no filters, I should be receiving appropriate messages to
gate to RF, according to stations I have recently gated to IS.

2) If I add filters (say, geographic), that could cause loss of some
messages that should come back through me.

3) If the server or servers in the chain to which I subscribe have
filters (I would hope they don't, but for the sake of argument...), that
would have a similar effect to #2.

In regards #2, I might like to have some filtering enabled for other
reasons, but would hope the recently-heard list trumps (by including
such packets) any filters I set up.

In regards to your reply to KD7LXL, that is how I had imagined the
system working -- a server merely sends messages back out to clients,
based on where it heard a station, and the clients decide whether or not
to gate to RF.  I am now somewhat confused as to what the debate is
about, but that's nothing new.  It makes sense to me that RF
contention/access be managed at the point of transmission, and nowhere
else.

Thanks,
Dave
KD8GBH