[aprssig] KS9N's USA Map for APRSdroid

Tony VE6MVP tony at ve6mvp.com
Thu Aug 22 14:27:35 EDT 2013

At 09:31 PM 2013-08-21, Lynn W. Deffenbaugh (Mr) wrote:
 >It's a MapsForge formatted map and includes ALL of the POI data from the
 >OpenStreetMaps project, not only roads, but details including railways,
 >power lines, bridge types, and in some areas even signal lights, bike
 >paths, culverts, building outlines, and in extreme areas even individual
 >tree placements.  The current OSM planet definition is 29GB as XML and
 >bz2 compression or 21GB as a binary PBF file.  It's not inefficient,
 >it's detailed.

Someone, somehow has mapped every little slough in about 300 square
miles of farmland about 20 or 30 miles north of me.   There might be
2, 5 or 10 per square mile.   Someone else has marked each railroad
level crossing.   I can sort of see why this might be useful in a few
extreme cases.

But the programs which display the data, such as OSMAnd on the
Android phone and tablet, need an efficient way for me to mark those
POIs as I never want to see the darned things on my screen as they
are an intense amount of clutter.

Tony