[aprssig] KS9N's USA Map for APRSdroid

Stephen H. Smith wa8lmf2 at aol.com
Wed Aug 21 23:19:21 EDT 2013

On 8/21/2013 8:55 PM, Andrew P. wrote:
> Well. That kind of explains how he gets the whole USA in half the storage YAAC needed a year ago when I was burning demo DVD's for the 2012 DCC. :-)

Sounds as through this file must be using rather inefficient
coding/compression, if it's only getting part of the US into 2.3 GB.

I just installed the 2013 MapPoint North America which somehow gets complete
street-level detail for ALL of Canada, the US and Mexico into 1.2 GB of data.

Precision Mapping 9.0 gets all of Canada and the US at street level (but not
Mexico, along with 5 million points of Interest into about 3 GB.

Garmin City Navigator North America (the database in Nuvi car navigators) gets
street level for all of the US & Canada plus major-roads-only in Mexico plus
POIs into 2.4 GB.

Stephen H. Smith    wa8lmf (at) aol.com
Skype:        WA8LMF
EchoLink:   14400  [Think bottom of the 2-meter band]
Home Page:          http://wa8lmf.net

  Long-Range APRS on 30 Meters HF
     http://wa8lmf.net/aprs/HF_APRS_Notes.htm

High Performance Sound Systems for Soundcard Apps
    http://wa8lmf.net/ham/imic.htm
    http://wa8lmf.net/ham/uca202.htm

   http://wa8lmf.net/DigiPaths