[aprssig] APRSTT from GPS

PE1RDW aprs at pe1rdw.demon.nl
Wed Aug 7 18:25:50 EDT 2013

the discusion on the runner tracking has me wondering about a solution
for a problem I'm facing.
Once a year my redcross section does support for a 80 km hike and up to
now we depend on vocal relaying of location information, eg last hiker
is at post 10, bus 2 left central post on route to post 5 etc. this is
offcourse very basic and has a very low resolution, just have to guess
how far between posts they are. We could use APRS but the red cross
licence does not allow data communication only tone signaling like dtmf
5tvo etc.

Would it be feasable to program a MPU to translate the NMEA input to a
DTMF or 5tvo string and then back to a position instead of depending on
manual input because the people opperating the mobiles will be copilots
of the verhicles with no ham background and very limited radio skills
(we're happy if they remember to stick to radio protocols), even our own
trained redcross workers have proven time and time again that during
action they do not haven time to report their position every few
minutes, only when they need backup.

In all likelyhood only the 1/10ths and 1/100ths of a degree need to be
transmitted with no more then 10 trackers so I estimate that 5 digits
transmitted will be enough.

73 Andre PE1RDW