[aprssig] APRS Runner Tracking

AC kf4lvz at yahoo.com
Wed Aug 7 14:58:20 EDT 2013

On 8/7/2013 10:00, aprssig-request at tapr.org wrote:

> From: Robert Bruninga
> To: aprssig at tapr.org, aprs at yahoogroups.com
> Subject: [aprssig] APRS Runner Tracking
>
> An all new APRS capability was suggested by  Daniel KB3MUN for tracking
> some runners at APRS events.

[snip]

> Set your position to your checkpoint.  Then each time you want to report a
> particular runner number, just change the MYCALL of the radio to the runner
> number.  Just 3 key strokes, MENU, APRS,MYCALL and then bump up or down the
> runner number.  Done

Interesting idea but you won't catch me doing it and that's because
you're forgetting that the radio stores data in flash memory which has a
finite lifetime.  I prefer not to wear out the flash memory in my radio
prematurely and end up with a nice repair bill or worse a radio that I
can never edit a setting again because the parts aren't available anymore.

Same thing goes for any other frequent editing of parameters.  It all
gets stored in flash which wears out.