[aprssig] Best format for a Repeater Item (350 bug)

Lynn W. Deffenbaugh (Mr) ldeffenb at homeside.to
Thu Apr 25 09:39:01 EDT 2013

On 4/25/2013 8:20 AM, Robert Bruninga wrote:
>> Bob!  You forgot the most important part that was recently discovered!
>> The Yaesu FTM-350 REQUIRES the frequency at the beginning of the
> comment!
>
> All of the advantages of the FREQ objects come
> from them appearing in the STATION list on mobile radios.  It makes no
> sense to me to break that intentended system design due to a minor bug in
> the 350.
>
> Putting the FREQ in the OBJECT name as designed appears just fine and as
> intended in the 350 and the 350 can also sort them too.   So all of the
> original functionality of this FREQ system also works on the 350. The only
> thing the 350 won't do correctly is the QSY button.

I'm not proposing removing the frequency from the object name, but only
parroted back the change that the original requester suggest. I'm all
for putting the frequency in the list (object name), but I sure don't
see how it hurts to put it also in the comment, especially since that's
the format described at http://www.aprs.org/info/freqspec.txt (which, as
I mentioned before, doesn't provide for PHG either).

We just need to nail down a consistent, adequately described (and
reasoned - tell them why), most broadly usable (including ALL
APRS-capable radio's capabilities if possible) format and THEN start
"encouraging" the correction, update, and rollout of the frequency objects.

As this thread shows, there doesn't seem to be ONE consistent
description of EXACTLY what someone should be putting out as a frequency
specification object that works with more than just one vendor's APRS
radios.

PS.  BTW, you seemed to be fully in agreement with including the
frequency in the comment to support Yaesu's the last time this was
discussed.  I'm sorry if my failure to put the frequency back into the
object name led you to believe I was proposing an elimination of that
portion of the suggestions.