[aprssig] New Jersey and Rutgers APRS and repeaters?

Stephen H. Smith wa8lmf2 at aol.com
Wed Apr 10 23:34:09 EDT 2013

On 4/10/2013 9:32 AM, John Gorkos wrote:

> BTW, if you ever happen to fly to Boise, ID, try the exercise I mentioned
> above.  I was there a few months ago for business, and man do they get it
> right.  We're trying to do the same thing here in Atlanta, and the Stone
> Mountain digi just came online in March providing all the info I mentioned
> above, with good coverage of the airport.
>
> John Gorkos
> AB0OO

Iowa gets it also.   When I drive the length of I-80 across Iowa on my
more-or-less annual trek from Michigan to the west coast & back,  my mobile
laptop mapping display lights up with far more info, especially local (voice)
repeaters, than any of the states on either side.

I see all this stuff on my mobile UIview laptop, but of course it would also
appear on a D700/D710 front panel.

And it appears that at least some Iowa fixed stations are actually manned and
reacting to APRS activity in real time.   My mobile 2M VHF APRS status beacon
says "Mobile SSTV LiveCAM HF & 146.52" .    Iowa is the only place on the
cross-country drive where I have actually had stations call me on '52, and ask
"Are you REALLY running SSTV mobile?".  (Which I then prove by sending them
live shots of I-80 from the DashCAM.)

But then Iowa was also the first state to offer free WiFi at every Interstate
rest area!  They do it right, with 6-foot 2.4 GHz collinears on top of the rest
stop building, so that you can easily use it right in your parked car or
18-wheeler.

Stephen H. Smith    wa8lmf (at) aol.com
Skype:        WA8LMF
Home Page:          http://wa8lmf.net
EchoLink Node #14400  (Think bottom of two meters...)

  Long-Range APRS on 30 Meters HF
     http://wa8lmf.net/aprs/HF_APRS_Notes.htm

High Performance Sound Systems for Soundcard Apps
    http://wa8lmf.net/ham/imic.htm
    http://wa8lmf.net/ham/uca202.htm

   http://wa8lmf.net/DigiPaths