[aprssig] QRU feature request and LOCALINFO (repeaters)

Robert Bruninga bruninga at usna.edu
Sat Sep 22 13:28:44 EDT 2012

> I didn't mean to say that the repeater object wasn't using too long of a
> path, I was pointing out that your radio (I believe) had information
> available that you did not peruse before attempting to use the repeater in
> question.

My point was that when the FREQ object comes in, on modern APRS
radios, I can press MENU, then TUNE and instntly the radio is ON FREQ
ready to make my call with proper offset and PL after only 2 buttons.

The alternative of checking the range first decreases the utility of
the function by an order of magnitude of more button pushing:

1) Going to the station list to find the object (cursoring up and down)
2) Several more button pushes to go sideways to the LOCATION page to
see how far away it is,
3) Then going to the MENU and then selecting TUNE and then after
dozens of screen presses finally arriving at a usuable VOICE channel
that was only 2 button presses away -if-done-as-originally-intended.

> Even with a no-hop or specific digipeater hop, it's quite
> realistic to receive repeater objects that you cannot access from your
> receiving location, especially if the object is being transmitted by a very
> high digipeater and the repeater is on the opposite side of the coverage
> area.

Yes, I accept that ambiguity,  But I don not accept the current
situation where 90% of the FREQ objects I recieve are out of area SPAM
right off the top, and useless to the original funciton of providing
local relevant information and not flooding the limited network with
out-of-area spam.

We need two things:
1) CUT BACK the spam objects that are using multi hops
2) Making sure that EVERY digi serves its own-local-users with the 2
or 3 local (direct) FREQ objects of local vaule and at a 10 minute
rate *and* sourced at the digi, where the will not collide with *any*
other traffic.

> In context, the request you extracted my PS from was dealing with a request
> to include distance information in the humanly-readable comment of a QRU
> response, NOT directly related to local information repeater objects.

Sorry.  Yes, of course, I was not directly challenging your comment,
but using it for my usual springboard into my hot topic of the moment.
So glad you did not take offense with my usualy segway from topic to
grab the pulpit. <wink>
Bob, WB4APR