[aprssig] QRU feature request and LOCALINFO (repeaters)

Lynn W. Deffenbaugh (Mr) ldeffenb at homeside.to
Sat Sep 22 12:04:12 EDT 2012

I didn't mean to say that the repeater object wasn't using too long of a
path, I was pointing out that your radio (I believe) had information
available that you did not peruse before attempting to use the repeater
in question.  Even with a no-hop or specific digipeater hop, it's quite
realistic to receive repeater objects that you cannot access from your
receiving location, especially if the object is being transmitted by a
very high digipeater and the repeater is on the opposite side of the
coverage area.

I'm not saying that was the situation in your case, just saying that a
no-hop transmission may still deliver objects that the receiver needs to
explore before assuming that they're accessible from his/her current
location.

In context, the request you extracted my PS from was dealing with a
request to include distance information in the humanly-readable comment
of a QRU response, NOT directly related to local information repeater
objects.