[aprssig] Automatic Voice RFelay System (AVRS) and ALLSTAR STANDARD

Andrew P. andrewemt at hotmail.com
Mon Sep 17 23:00:23 EDT 2012

Hello, Robert.

With all due respect, I had no intention of breaking backwards compatibility of the _existing_ messages for announcing to end-user radios where the gateways were. My suggestion (however clumsily stated) was for an additional (not a replacement) message routed _only_ over the Internet from the gateways (IRLP, Echolink, Allstar, whatever) to the AVRS server to timely report state changes in the operational state of and virtual circuits between gateways, as an alternative to awkward and high-latency polling of gateway status by the AVRS server. Certainly, what we have works nicely for the end-users, but it seems awkward and inefficient to keep the AVRS server up-to-date by it having to repeatedly poll for "have you changed yet?" reports from every gateway on the planet (or proxy servers that do the same job) when the AVRS server could be notified asynchronously and immediately of each gateway's state changes. Plus, the AVRS server has no RF connectivity of its own, so it is only going to find out about gateway status over the Internet anyway.

Now, this may be impractical, from what others have said regarding what it would take to make appropriate tweaks to the various voice networks' gateway software. However, assuming the software changes are possible, it would behave no differently than existing Internet network management protocols (such as SNMP) reporting node state changes to a central server that monitors the state of remote network nodes, and would not clog the airwaves with spurious messages because these messages would not be sent over the air. Furthermore, it would actually make AVRS more reliable, because it would be working with current information, not stale data from the last poll. The only issue with this suggestion is getting the gateways to play along (and I admit that might be a deathknell to my proposal).

Now, if the existing RF beacon messages also contain all the virtual voice circuit establishment and teardown information (due to promptly-updated beacon transmissions when the virtual circuits are opened and closed), then my suggestion is unneeded, and so is the AVRS server's polling; the AVRS server could merely monitor APRS-IS for those messages to keep its gateway database up-to-date. If the existing messages do _not_ contain all of this additional information, then obviously the AVRS server needs the missing data from somewhere (and earlier messages in this e-mail thread imply the AVRS server gets it by polling for dynamically-updated XML files from specified proxy servers on the Internet).

So please don't take my suggestion as an attempt to break what you've been coordinating for the last decade, because that was very carefully and deliberately _not_ my intent. It was merely an idea for a possibly more efficient way of doing AVRS.

Andrew Pavlin, KA2DDO