[aprssig] javAPRSSrvr 4.0 filter changes (was: HF noise ... via APRS)

Lynn W. Deffenbaugh (Mr) ldeffenb at homeside.to
Mon Sep 17 09:11:06 EDT 2012

Pete has assured me that all packets are passed throughout the
infrastructure.  It is only the t/ (type) filter that enforces tight
spec compliance.  A buddy or prefix filter works solely on the
originating station ID.  Any of the position-based filters rely on
having parsed a compliant position-containing packet.

But if a client filters on a specific type of packet, then the packet
must be a spec-compliant (with the filter author providing his/her own
definition of compliance) instance of that type of packet.  And since
the telemetry spec says 3 digit values in the range of 0..255, that's
what it must be in the upcoming javAPRSSrvr 4.0 filter implementation.

But again, ONLY for type-sensitive filters, and ONLY for filtered
feeds.  The infrastructure will continue to carry all packets appearing
to come from valid amateur radio callsigns and entering via validated
APRS-IS connections.

PS.  Don't shoot me, I'm only propagating what I've learned of the
upcoming changes as I discover them so that we can all set our
expectations and avoid potentially unpleasant surprises.