[aprssig] HF noise measuring campaign reports via APRS

Chris Moulding chrism at crosscountrywireless.net
Fri Sep 14 16:57:10 EDT 2012

Curt,

All good points.

The idea behind the noise measuring campaign is to look at HF noise in a
range of different environments e.g. rural, suburban, urban, industrial
and noisy.

For instance your observation about the level of local noise changing as
equipment is switched off at night is just the sort of information that
the measuring campaign will reveal.

I would expect one or two receivers to be placed in an ideal location to
look at galactic or solar background noise but the real value of the
tests would be prove just how much more RF noise is present in the real
locations where we live.

Regarding antennas I'm also developing a HF voltage probe antenna so
maybe one of those could be connected to the SDR receiver so that it's
left to run on it's own as a known reference antenna without the usual
ham antenna changes. That's also one of the reasons for the peak noise
level measurement to record local ham activity on site or nearby static
crashes.

73,

Chris, G4HYG