[aprssig] Future for aprs?

Ray Wells vk2tv at exemail.com.au
Tue Sep 11 00:49:20 EDT 2012

On 11/09/12 13:31, Lee Bengston wrote:
> On Mon, Sep 10, 2012 at 12:47 PM, Curt, WE7U <curt.we7u at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> I just deployed a DreamPlug for a single-purpose use.  Have access to
>> ShivaPlugs, GuruPlugs and Raspberry Pi's here too.
>>
>> Needed a Java app on the plugs but a co-worker mentioned that Java 6
>> wouldn't work on the ShivaPlug (not enough memory?) so I deployed the app on
>> the DreamPlug.  No problems.
>>
>> Looking forward to playing with the Raspberry Pi:  Cheaper and should do
>> what I need for a remotely admin'ed computer.  I've watched with interested
>> the postings on linux-hams list about running the AX.25 stack on the Pi's
>> too.  I may have to buy a personal unit or two to play with.
> Me too - just broke down and ordered one today.  Now I need to dig up
> my 8GB SD card that appears to be misplaced.  Fyi, the latest
> "Raspberrian" Linux image based on Debian Wheezy has AX25 support
> compiled in.  Ray, VK2TV has it working on his Raspberry Pi based
> IGATE, http://www.findu.com/cgi-bin/find.cgi?call=vk2tv-4.  N1MJF was
> on the Xastir mailing list back in June and had Xastir running on a
> Raspberry Pi using the Arch Linux image, but I'm not sure if that
> kernel supports AX25.
>
> Lee - K5DAT

If I can add my $0.02 worth, the RPi is running with kernel ax25
compiled on the device, even though deb packages are available. I'm
currently running dixprs to a KISS TNC driven from the kernel stack. I
have also being dabbling with xastir driving the same TNC from the
stack. The stack is configured for 3 KISS ports (ax1, ax2, ax3). ax0 is
allocated to a udp port for a possible fpac/netrom node. The Pi appears
to be quite stable and both applications work as expected.

I initially used a 4GB SD card but filled it with a lot of development
tools and such. I now use an 8GB card and df shows about 60% used for
the Linux partition.

Ray vk2tv