[aprssig] APRS programs Was: Future for aprs

Bob Burns W9RXR w9rxr_ at rlburns.net
Fri Sep 7 19:10:39 EDT 2012

At 06:10 PM 9/7/2012, Hans Hassemer wrote:

>I have yet to figure out the best online program to use for APRS and
>how to use it when I download it.

You say "online program" and then talk about downloading it. I assume
you are looking for a program to run on your computer to interface
with your APRS device.

My quick assessment of the available Windows programs:

APRSPoint -- $77 with maps or $47 if you already have a copy of
MapPoint. Fairly easy for a new user to get up and running. Lacking
in some APRS features--can't send objects, can't digipeat, can't use
a KISS interface to a TNC. Good maps--the program includes an older
copy of the Microsoft MapPoint database, but you can purchase a newer
copy of Microsoft Streets & Trips to get newer data. See the notes on
Stephen Smith's web site
(http://wa8lmf.net/aprs/MapPoint-Data-Update.htm) which talk about
upgrading to newer map data.

UI-View -- Free. A little more difficult to set up than APRSPoint,
but only slightly. In order to get pan and zoom maps, you'll have to
purchase a copy of Precision Mapping and install a "map server" that
UI-View uses to access the map data. Full-featured program, very well
supported by the users, several useful add-on programs. However, the
author died a few years ago and asked that the program's source code
be destroyed, so there is no further development. Before installing
UI-View, check Stephen Smith's notes at
http://wa8lmf.net/aprs/UIview_Notes.htm .

APRSIS/32 -- Free. Lots of features and actively being developed by
the author. The author has been scouring the APRS specification to
make sure his program supports most of the APRS features. Uses maps
from the Open Street Map project, so you need an Internet connection
to get maps. You can pre-fetch maps for the area where you'll be
operating and then run the program off-line. The learning curve is a
little steep, but it's worth the effort. Lots of support in a very
active Yahoo Group: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/aprsisce/ .

These are just my opinions. I'm sure others on here will have
different thoughts.

Bob...