[aprssig] APRS Calling

Robert Carleton rbc at rbcarleton.com
Sun Oct 21 14:12:26 EDT 2012

I've been working on a simple procedure for calling stations via APRS text messages as an alternative to voice calling. I thought I'd float it with the APRS community for comment.

APRS calling borrows ideas implemented in Digital Selective Calling, a part of the Global Maritime Distress Safety System. The idea is to replace monitoring voice calling frequencies with APRS monitoring. APRS calling provides procedures for contacting stations that are operating APRS, but not monitoring voice. ITU Q codes are used in conjunction with APRS text messages to implement APRS calling.

1) The calling station sends a QSX signal to the station or group they wish to reach using an APRS text message. The QSX should include the frequency for voice contact. The calling station may wish to include offset and CTCSS or DCS information.
2) The called station or stations reply with an answering QSX via an APRS text message.
3) The stations shift communications to the arranged voice channel.

That's the whole thing. I'd be grateful for any feedback.

Best,

			--Bruce (KJ6VVJ)

Robert "Bruce" Carleton
Emergency Coordinator