[aprssig] Solid State Geiger Sensor Option App

WD8ARZ wd8arz at ix.netcom.com
Thu Oct 11 17:19:51 EDT 2012

Solid State Geiger Sensor - After some experience, I think there is a
future here, but not yet at the hobby level / cost.

Sites / projects I have checked out dont measure up to what a pancake
sensor does in the better Geiger counters today.

Solid state have more noise, and temperture drift affects that noise,
thus performance.

However, a cell phone camera sensor can be used as a sensor. It has the
above performance limitations, and different makes and models are all
over the map. Once advantage is each pixal is a detector, thus it can
count multiple hits at the same time.

Here is a link to an app I have tested on my Epic 4g off and on for
about a year. It was useful to find a hot part in an assymble, where a
commercial Geiger was to sensitive to isolate a part out of an assembly.
It is also better than nothing, but not by much .... hi hi  Frequently
temp drift and noise makes it difficult to measure back ground levels.

My phone has several APRS programs installed, and I am sure the output
of this could feed those, but I dont consider the readings to be
reliable enough to bother.

The REAL *RadioactivityCounter* App is working on *Android and Apple iOS
*mobile phones, based on their internal camera sensors. NO EXTRA
hardware is be required.<./html/radioactivity.html>

This App is *not* one of those numerous "fun apps", but a true, really
working radiation detector. We already did measurements for certain
devices using professional equipment at the Helmholtz Research Center
Munich, the scale we used for testing starts at several 2-10 µGy/h up to
10 Gy/h (about 10Sv/h) with the latest measurements. More infos and
instructions are now available on video. Updated infos about how to
cover the lenses. We work on radiation measurements below 1 µSv/h. See
*FAQ pages* <./html/radioa_faq.html> for information on what can be
measured and what is difficult or cannot be measured. Please have a look
at our video <http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qJcOq5sLxPo> on the adjust
menu, we will make this calibration procedure much easier in the near
future. *iPhone5 update is in work.*

http://www.hotray-info.de/index.html

73 from Bill - WD8ARZ