[aprssig] Firenet.US Server Back Up!

Gerry Creager gerry.creager at gmail.com
Tue Oct 9 18:24:45 EDT 2012

I've modified the config so that the CWOP connection is not present
for now. We're working on configs. Things are different in javAPRSsrvr
v4, and while I think I understand its configuration, I'm still on a
learning curve.

gerry

On Tue, Oct 9, 2012 at 2:56 PM, Lynn W. Deffenbaugh (Mr)
<ldeffenb at homeside.to> wrote:
> On 10/9/2012 3:47 PM, Stephen H. Smith wrote:
>
> On 10/9/2012 3:15 PM, Lynn W. Deffenbaugh (Mr) wrote:
>

> When/if that happens again, check http://firenet.us:14501/ and particularly
> the outbound connections section.  Every now and then I've seen firenet.us
> connect to an upstream CWOP server instead of one of the core APRS-IS
> servers.  I suspect that gets a lot more weather stations than you're used
> to seeing.
>

> It's happening again!
>
> My all-US display just lit up with HUNDREDS AND HUNDREDS of blue circle  WX
> icons.   All of them are showing "METAR-2 " as the source call and are
> objects, not stations.   See the mess at
>
>      <http://wa8lmf.dyndns.org:14439>
>

> And http://firenet.us:14501/ says:
>
> javAPRSSrvr  4.0.0b31
> Copyright © 2012 - Peter Loveall AE5PL
>

> WA8LMF-13's filter shows:
>
> filter b/WA8LMF-63/WA8LMF/WA8LMF-2 t/w t/n s/:// o/ISS* -q -e/WXSVR-AU
>

> IIRC the old version's filter would only honor the LAST t/ filter in a
> string probably causing you to get only the t/n stuff.  I suspect the new
> one is doing just what your filter is asking it to do (for the first time)
> and that is to give you all weather (t/w) and NWS (t/n) packets.
>
> Try dropping the t/w and see if you get what you're after.  The t/n is
> supposed to give you all of the alerts which is what I believe you said
> you're after.
>
> Yep, there's experimentation going on...

> PS.  If you want proof of the first vs last of the filter statements, switch
> the order around if firenet.us reverts back to javAPRSSrvr 3 and see if you
> get the blue field.

Gerry Creager N5JXS
OU/CIMMS
NSSL