[aprssig] [APRS] Need Digi in Kentucky at Mamouth Cave Park [update)

Robert Bruninga bruninga at usna.edu
Thu Nov 1 16:02:07 EDT 2012

> I would say to start with putting out a list that is six
> and a half years old is rather old in today's technology.

I update whenever anyone sends me new info. Few have done so.  Today, I
just updated it for Mammouth Cave and Grand Tetons.

> I actually own a digipeater that is within a tnc's throw
> of a national park, and it will cover all of the park.
> Yet, on this old list it isn't listed.

I don't think I got a report when it was placed in service?

> On a new list, it probably won't be listed.
> Because most of the time it is turned off.

When you do decide to turn it back on to serve visitors to the park, let
me know and some of us will be happy to monitor it for activity.  It might
be nice to track some mobiles through the area and see if the loss of your
digi had any impact on their coverage.  I assume it is a full up WIDEn-N
digi?  Or was it a WIDE1-1 fill-in digi?

> I consider a digipeater like a voice repeater for the rules
> it needs to be monitored. I don't monitor mine and when I
> have looked at it and there hasn't been any activity in 7 days,
> and this was during the busiest time for the park, then it
> isn't being used. I can find better things to do with my time
> than watch a digipeater which doesn't do anything.

There are hundreds of APRS hams that monitor the 144.39 channel and will
react quite quickly to any observed anomalies.  I think you can rely on
them to alert you to any problems.

> Guess the bottom line here for me is, yes I can cover
> a national park, but there isn't anyone on so there
> is no need for a digipeater to be on.

Sounds like trees falling in the woods but no one around to hear it, or in
the case of APRS to relay it out into the network.  I'd encourage you to
consider putting it back on the air if that is easy enough and let us see
what happens... What park, by the way...

Bob, WB4APR