[aprssig] aprssig Digest, Vol 95, Issue 32

Perry Chamberlain canoeman at qnet.com
Wed May 30 09:20:29 EDT 2012

Respectfully

Perry Chamberlain

On May 30, 2012, at 5:00 AM, aprssig-request at tapr.org wrote:

> Don't forget, you've still got to pay for him to ship the stuff from the
> EU to the US, and that is not cheap to do these days, what with all the
> security paranoia...  Especially, if the goods did not "originate" from
> the US in the first place.
>
> It's many times more expensive to ship *INTO* the US, than for you to
> ship stuff out of your county.   FYI.
>
> In any case, I still don't consider those costs shown above, as "low
> cost".   Plus, it's (yet) another layer of complexity, therefore another
> posible source of possible errors, ready to take down what you want back
> into the noise.
>
> Whatever happened to the KISS principle?
>
> 73.

I don't know where you get the idea it is expensive to ship here.
I order equipment from china, Canada, hong kong, and the EU, very cheap prices, and NO DUTY, no taxes.
It is often cheaper to buy a radio in the USA from china, or the UK, then it is to buy it here.
When I order boards from out of the country, I pay no tax, no duty.
And paying $120.00 for a dstar board to tack on to an older analog radio, and voila, you have an instant simplex dstar repeater, is very cheap indeed, as opposed to an Icom $3,000.00 repeater.
So I am  not sure about what you are talking about.
When Americans buy from outside their state, they pay no sales tax.
Unless the company has an office in that state.
A lot of hams play the shipping game.
Look local, buy out of state.
I tend to buy commercial ham radios from my local ham stores, to support local businesses. But I will shop anywhere, for an item I can't find here.
When we see a dutchstar or German dstar board for 120.00, that plus $10.00 shipping from overseas,  that is what we pay, no more.
I on the other hand don't ship out of the USA, because of other countries high import duties.
My dongle, dvap 880h, and ID31a were all bought locally. That  sounds pretty simple to me!