[aprssig] APRS and dstar (why)

Randy Love rlove31 at gmail.com
Tue May 29 18:08:41 EDT 2012

On Tue, May 29, 2012 at 11:07 AM, Gregg Wonderly <gregg at wonderly.org> wrote:

> In many rural and hilly areas, it is often easier to get APRS traffic out
> via a cellular data path, than through the marginal, and many times
> non-functional APRS RF network.

Eh, what rural and hilly areas are you talking about that have better
cellular coverage than a well-planned APRS digipeater system?

Oh, yeah, I forgot, let me rephrase.  What cellular company is going to put
100's of thousands of dollars into covering a hilly, rural area ( that
doesn't have an interstate running through it ) that can't be covered by a
couple hundred bucks worth of APRS equipment?

Cellular is infrastructure dependent, no and-if-or-buts. An APRS network on
144.39 isn't so much, unless you're only accessing it via APRS-IS on a cell
phone or other consumer device. And local APRS coverage and effectiveness
can be greatly increased without large amounts of capital expenditures by a
major service provider.

Randy
WF5X