[aprssig] APRS and dstar

Gregg Wonderly gregg at wonderly.org
Tue May 29 11:04:07 EDT 2012

On May 28, 2012, at 10:44 AM, Randy Allen wrote:

> On 5/28/2012 10:10, Perry Chamberlain wrote:
>
>> The icom ID- 31a is only $369.00, and it ports it's Dprs gps location to the APRS findu IS
>
> Which makes it useless for APRS mobiles, portables or net control stations at locations without internet access.  Internet is a nice adjunct, but if it can't do it RF, you're not going to convince folks like me.

To be technically correct, the internet is always accessible via RF with the right infrastructure.  D-Star makes it possible to bring the internet into an area where it's not available.  With the equipment in place, it's possible to just hook up an ethernet cable on either end, to the appropriate network interface device, and suddenly there can be "the internet" right where you need it.

WiFi is RF too.  Its possible to use <$100 WiFi radios to do multi-mile relays of "the internet" into a D-Star repeater or other network interface point.

We all need to open our minds to what "the internet" actually is.  It is a TCP/IP network, and that's all.  The fact that there are so many resources on the "public internet" just makes it more useful for so many purposes.  But, creating a TCP/IP network, again (not based on 1200 baud AX.25, but D-Star at 1.2Mb or more, instead) is what can provide a lot of flexibility to our services.

Not everything that Amatuer radio does, or supports involves long distance emergency radio services.  When that is needed, we already know how to do that.  What we need to hone our skills for, is high performance data networks that will allow more information to flow into and out of "the scene" we are supporting to make ourselves be more effective at "doing what needs doing".

Gregg Wonderly
W5GGW