[aprssig] APRS and dstar (why)

Randy Allen ka0azs at earthlink.net
Sun May 27 16:51:28 EDT 2012

By $350 I assume you mean something like the IC-V80 and the optional
D-Star module?  Which gives me a mono band HT with no GPS, one
additional operating mode. By the time you add a GPS we're looking at
the same price I paid for my TH-D72 and no way to to see any APRS
activity around me via RF.

ETA: I see you were referring to the ID-31.  Now we've added the GPS but
have a 440 mon0 band HT with all the disadvantages as far as APRS
receipt, and not very useful around here for public services events that
tend to use the 2 Meter infrastructure.

I know that it's possible to port APRS to D-STAR, but the response I got
from the local D-STAR types was "why would we want to connect a piece of
old analog crap to our nice new digital repeater.  You need to buy a
D-STAR!"

When comparing something more like apples to apples (i.e. a true dual
band mobile with dual display), then the price of an IC-2820 isn't much
of bargain compared to a D710, and I still don't have access to local
APRS activity.

I use APRS for public service events.  The cost of replacing all of the
various trackers and APRS enabled radios with D-STAR is unrealistic,
especially in light of ICOM's apparent corporate, and the demonstrated
attitude of some local D-STAR enthusiasts, that "APRS Integration" is
all one way, and only through the internet, and no apparent interest in
seeing APRS station on their radios.

When I have the luxury of internet access at as Net Control, it's great
to integrate the D-STAR users, just as I do the DROID and other smart
phone users, but I don't depend on the internet, therefore I don't rely
on the D-STAR and smart phone users.

I would be willing to work with D-STAR community by working to get
TNC's, radios, etc to integrate with the local D-STAR infrastructure,
but I am quite frankly not interested enough in it to put up my own
D-STAR repeater, and they have shown zero interest in working with the
APRS infrastructure.

D-STAR to me is currently just another part of amateur radio world, like
EME, satellite, etc., that I might get interested in some day, but have
no real desire to fuss with right now.  It just does not add enough to
the equation for what I do to make it worth it to _me_.

I'm glad you enjoy yours.  73

Randy