[aprssig] APRS and dstar (why)

Amateur Radio WB8NUT duffy at wb8nut.com
Sun May 27 14:29:58 EDT 2012

People really consider around $350 bucks for a DStar radio to be such a
wall to impede their adoption of digital? I am amazed. Icom ID-31s sold
out by early Saturday at Dayton this year. It has GPS built-in, no
programming required and every time I transmit, my position goes to the
APRS network. No more, radio, GPS and tracker module with wires everywhere.

I guess when compared to the Chinese radios it is a lot of money. But
compared to my D710 at $500, it's a great value.

 From personal observation of the Yaesu booth at Dayton. No crowd around
their new digital radio. No excitement. If anything, it was such a flop,
a number of people on the fence with digital started snapping up DStar
radios. Some models were sold out and others in tight supply there.

Not that I have abandoned APRS, but the ID-31 sure made it easy to have
FM, Digital, world-wide programming, and APRS (DPRS) all in one package.

I like DStar and like the way it is integrated with APRS. It's been a
lot of fun with both technologies.

Duffy
www.wb8nut.com