[aprssig] VA and Freq pieves....

Brian Moore kd0qct at gmail.com
Sun May 27 03:02:35 EDT 2012

Bob, first and foremost I have to say thank you for raising this concern.
My friend Greg and I met you at Dayton out by your Prius, neat set up by
the way, and mentioned to you that on the drive to Dayton from St. Louis we
heard several instances of a VA packet breaking the 100Hz tone squelch. Yet
not one single person answered either on 39, or QSY'd and answered on 52
simplex.

Now we were having a great time on the drive, there were moments when we
had about seven cars on 52, like a rolling net. So on a drive to Hamvention
Voice Alert is almost unnecessary, hams are on the air. Though you said
your drive was less than QSO full, I speculate that was due to everyone
arriving earlier in the day on Thursday as we did.

I myself have yet to be blessed with a Kenwood APRS radio. So I use
APRSdroid on drives, which works well to show me who's out there and what
frequency they're on, both IS and RF stations as long as there are enough
iGates to keep the RF only stations on the IS servers. I try to not let the
"sillyphone" distract me too much, but do my best to keep my current
frequency in the comment and displayed to others connected to the IS
through their phone/computer. Having an awesome radio doesn't preclude the
need to run both the phone and radio. Not all stations are going to be on
RF, they're not cheap radios. I also keep 144.39 with a 100Hz tone tuned in
on the second VFO to listen for those blessed with the APRS radios and
using VA correctly. Sadly the handful of times I've heard another station
on VA, they aren't listening. I have yet to initiate a QSO because of VA,
maybe this becomes the norm and people forget about it. I think it's the
neatest "free" feature of APRS, properly used, it's the automatic CQ we all
would love. I can't wait to get my wife to sign off on a Kenwood D710 for
the car, the four VA memory sets will be the first ones in there.

Thank you Bob for your insights and years of struggle to get APRS where it
is today. I've been a licensed ham for a little over six months now, I
discovered APRS because of APRSdroid the week I got my ticket, and have in
the short time since been running an iGate through UIview, on a borrowed
Rigblaster Nomic, and Yaesu FT-2900 (running far less than full power) for
close to four months now. I think APRS is the most valuable tool in a hams
arsenal, I may be learning but I'm sure having fun in the process.

Thank you. 73 Brian KD0QCT