[aprssig] APRS return to basics (DR) (new images)

Lynn W. Deffenbaugh (Mr) ldeffenb at homeside.to
Wed May 23 21:45:49 EDT 2012

On 5/23/2012 9:35 PM, Keith VE7GDH wrote:
> Is DR actually giving you any more information about the storm?

Some AE5PL-WX-injected NWS objects include an initial position along
with a speed and heading.  APRSISCE/32 will draw the storm in the
original location and move a dead reckoned copy of the storm symbol
according to the speed and heading until the expiration time of the
event has been reached.  It's rather humorous at times to see the storm
moving completely outside the highlighted area which tells me that the
NWS office doesn't really check such things.

> Incidentally, what APRS client were you using that did the DR?

APRSISCE/32 of course!  Just check Screen / Dead Reckoning.  Any moving
station will stay where it is and move a 50% transparent copy of the
symbol in a dead reckoned fashion with a line connecting the two.  The
forecasted station will automatically disappear if 5 minutes elapses
since the last transmission.

You can even have up to THREE DR symbols depending on your settings
under Screen / Labels / Speed options (especially All).