[aprssig] APRS return to basics (DR) (new images)

Randy Allen ka0azs at earthlink.net
Wed May 23 20:46:34 EDT 2012

I'll chime in that I have used DR on several public service events over
the years as a Net Control and I find it very useful.

Not only for monitoring vehicles with RF trackers, but in placing
objects on the board with a course and speed for runners and bike riders
without a tracker.  I've used this to give heads ups to turn point and
rest stop operators.

It's also sometimes easier to ID a station that has a tracker
malfunction, when their voice reports show them someplace away from
where the DR places them.

When busy with a (or several) voice frequencies at net control, it's
nice to have the computer do the work so I can quickly update my
situational awareness while not over tasking my limited wet ware.

It's also handy to watch storms being plotted by the NWS servers and
tracking along the screen.

I really appreciated it when DR was added to APRSIS32.

For whatever my opinion is worth.

73

Randy