[aprssig] FREQ Object Formats

Heikki Hannikainen hessu at hes.iki.fi
Tue May 8 00:02:57 EDT 2012

On Mon, 7 May 2012, Bob Bruninga wrote:

> Explain again why a software client even cares about parsing the Freq spec.
> Does APRSISCE do radio control?  If so, what radios are you supporting?

I think any software implementing this should display decoded and
human-readable, pretty-printable frequencies and offsets (display -2000
kHz instead of -200), so that the end user would not need to go and try to
understand the specifications, as they are a bit difficult for us
developers, too.

Just for the sake of user friendlyness. Even if there is no actual radio
control and TUNE button.

> I am only aware of 3 radios that parse and act on Freq objects, the D72,
> D710 and FTM-350.  All other APRS systems and all older aradios simply
> display the data.  It is already in human readable form.

It would be nice to have more software support for this. You know, we are
writing some new software, and we are trying hard to make stuff easy for
new users! :)

   - Hessu