[aprssig] FREQ Object Formats

Lynn W. Deffenbaugh (Mr) ldeffenb at homeside.to
Mon May 7 17:45:46 EDT 2012

On 5/7/2012 5:32 PM, Bob Bruninga wrote:
>> Here is what I am transmitting for frequency objects
>> which work with the TM-D710A North American version:
>> ;444.80TRF*111111z4807.60N/09610.63WrT156 + R15m
> But, "works" is debatable.  The "+" is not part of the spec.

And why is it allowed for frequency position packets and not for
frequency object packets?  I was not going to bring this up until the
current bruhaha settles, but since you mentioned it.

For the sake of future APRS radio implementers, I believe we need to
take this opportunity to UNIFY the frequency specifications.  There's no
reason that I can see for frequency objects to have some capabilities
and frequency comments to have others.  If it's good for the goose, it's
good for the gander.

>> The " + " is required, otherwise the D710A does not apply any offset on
> UHF.
>
> The D710 needs +500 which is the correct way to do the +5 MHz offset.  The
> fact that a bug in that radio might be seeing the + and then not
> understanding the following 3 bytes and just defaults to the 5 MHz is just
> luck, not part of the spec.

And just because the D710 doesn't need the +060, other APRS-capable
radios visiting the area might need it.  Standards should be standards
and not target one favor one vendor or implementation over another.

>> For VHF I transmit:
>> ;146.85TRF*111111z4804.29N/09606.79WrTOFF - R40m
>> For VHF ' - ' is not required,
> Since it is not in accordance with the spec, it just adds confusion and a
> perpetuation of non-spec compliant packets on the air.  In North America,
> the standard for 147 MHz repeaters is +600KHz offset and 146MHz and below
> have -600 KHz offsets.

But visitors to North America with non-offset-smart radios don't know
that, so why not tell them explicitly with no inferences?

>> I am including [the -] to be congruent with the UHF version,
>> which isn't much of a reason I will admit.  I could instead
>> include the offset as +500 and -060 respectively, but since
>> these repeaters use the standard offsets I don't.
> Exactly. All of the APRS radios that have the auto-TUNE/QSY function will
> use the standard at least on 2 meters and the Yaesu I think does it on both.
> But my recommendation is to not transmit the offset in North America on VHF
> and to always include the +/-500 on UHF.

And they won't work with just a + or - if they're not from the proper
country.  We have a chance to FIX this to work with WHATEVER the
operator has with them instead of making assumptions about anything.

>> As a check I looked at the first 10 VHF and 10 UHF frequency
>> objects I came across on APRS.FI and only 2 VHF and 1 UHF
>> frequency objects were compatible with the D710A.
> Yep, I agree, most FREQ objects on the air are wrong.  SO I am so glad we
> are gifinalluy getting everyone's attention.

And if we're going to get them to fixed, then let's get them fixed in
the most flexible and informative a fashion as possible.