[aprssig] FREQ Object Formats

Bob Bruninga bruninga at usna.edu
Mon May 7 17:32:22 EDT 2012

Ron, thanks for your examples...

From: Ron Stordahl [mailto:ron_n5in at yahoo.com]

> Here is what I am transmitting for frequency objects
> which work with the TM-D710A North American version:
>;444.80TRF*111111z4807.60N/09610.63WrT156 + R15m

But, "works" is debatable.  The "+" is not part of the spec.

> The " + " is required, otherwise the D710A does not apply any offset on
UHF.

The D710 needs +500 which is the correct way to do the +5 MHz offset.  The
fact that a bug in that radio might be seeing the + and then not
understanding the following 3 bytes and just defaults to the 5 MHz is just
luck, not part of the spec.

> For VHF I transmit:
> ;146.85TRF*111111z4804.29N/09606.79WrTOFF - R40m
> For VHF ' - ' is not required,

Since it is not in accordance with the spec, it just adds confusion and a
perpetuation of non-spec compliant packets on the air.  In North America,
the standard for 147 MHz repeaters is +600KHz offset and 146MHz and below
have -600 KHz offsets.

> I am including [the -] to be congruent with the UHF version,
> which isn't much of a reason I will admit.  I could instead
> include the offset as +500 and -060 respectively, but since
> these repeaters use the standard offsets I don't.

Exactly. All of the APRS radios that have the auto-TUNE/QSY function will
use the standard at least on 2 meters and the Yaesu I think does it on both.
But my recommendation is to not transmit the offset in North America on VHF
and to always include the +/-500 on UHF.

> As a check I looked at the first 10 VHF and 10 UHF frequency
> objects I came across on APRS.FI and only 2 VHF and 1 UHF
> frequency objects were compatible with the D710A.

Yep, I agree, most FREQ objects on the air are wrong.  SO I am so glad we
are gifinalluy getting everyone's attention.

Bob, WB4APR