[aprssig] FREQ Object Formats

Andre aprs at pe1rdw.demon.nl
Mon May 7 17:35:54 EDT 2012

On Mon, 07 May 2012 23:11:56 +0200, Bob Bruninga <bruninga at usna.edu> wrote:

>> How often do you need to be told that on 70cm and 23cm
>> there is nothing like standard +/- offsets, every
>> country has their own standard and sometimes several in a single
>> country.
>
> That does not matter. I am talking about the standards BUILT INTO THE
> RADIO.
> If the radios in a given region have a STANDARD offset, then that is
> what is
> used.  If a country does not use the standard, then of course it does not
> apply and the actual offset must be included.
>
> If the radio does not have a standard, then of course it does not apply
> then
> either and that is why there is provision for indicating a non-standard
> offset.

But there never can be standards build into the radio for 70cm and 23cm
because those standards don't exist.
So you can push for kenwood and yeasu including some arbiturary standard
offsets and tell sysops to transmit only a + or - but if yeasu picks
+/-1.6 and kenwood picks +1.6/-7.6 then it still won't work resulting in
sysops going back to always include offset frequentie or use the double
frequentie objects.

--
73 Andre PE1RDW