[aprssig] FREQ Object Formats

la3qma at aprs.la la3qma at aprs.la
Mon May 7 17:25:27 EDT 2012

Quoting "Lynn W. Deffenbaugh (Mr)" <ldeffenb at homeside.to>:

> On 5/7/2012 5:02 PM, la3qma at aprs.la wrote:
>>
>> Inserting the actual offset is a no brainer and the receiving part
>> doesnt have to do anything other than set that offset.
>>
>> ;LA5BR    *111111z6024.76N/00521.64Er145.750MHz T097 -0600kHz
>> ;LA7BR    *111111z6023.06N/00514.98Er434.700MHz T097 -2000kHz
>>
>> This works for me on an modified TM-D710E and it should work on an
>> A and K model to.
>
> Are you sure the radio is actually using the -0600kHz part of that
> packet?  If you put in -0500kHz does it actually change the shift?
> Also, if you put -0505KHz, does it make a difference?  The spec only
> says -060 and I suspect the radio may be completely ignoring the 0kHz
> part of what you're transmitting.  Nice for human readability, but not
> part of the (current) standard.

Hmm ok i'll try to check this.
If the default shift is set to 0.400 in the radio and i use the QSY
function i get the correct settings as 145.750 and 145.150

My radio also automaticly change my default offset frequency in the
menu to 0.600MHz

I'll try the 0505Khz later

>> To get a proper realtime whats happening around you i would say
>> that the sender should dictate all the correct QSY information to
>> the receving part and not assume that the receiving part has the
>> correct offset etc in the radio.
>
> 100% agree and stated much better than I have managed so far!

yes and realtime actual data is whats APRS is about not asumptions ;-)

Kai Gunter
LA3QMA