[aprssig] Radio behavior when receiving a frequency object

Lynn W. Deffenbaugh (Mr) ldeffenb at homeside.to
Mon May 7 16:53:50 EDT 2012

What a radio does with a given frequency object is up to that radio's
firmware, and that's what Bob is attempting to ascertain right now.
However, the object you indicated only has a machine-readable frequency
in it and the remainder is completely non spec compliant.

AB2ZO-2>APX200,WIDE2-1,qAR,K2MHV-6:;147.255WX*071408z4156.96N/07359.00WW147.255(+) Ulster Wx Net 0730, Mon - Sat

The object name is 147.255WX, that's good and provides the 147.255
frequency.

The comment starts with 147.255 - A completely redundant re-statement of
the same information.  But the spec requires either FFF.FFFMHz or
FFF.FFFrx to specify a receive frequency for the repeater.  If they had
put the MHz on the 147.255 as many other frequency objects are doing,
the spec would say it's a simplex repeater, both input and output on the
same frequency.

The (+) is useless to any machine reader.  The spec requires a
blank-delimited + to use the "standard" offset.  Or +060 would have been
600KHz up for the split.  But nothing  that adheres to the spec pay any
attention to the (+).

So, even if the radio had blanked itself out, the frequency object did
not communicate enough information to be useful, beyond the original
frequency.

Oh, and Ulster in the comment is particularly redundant because the
coordinates of the station tell you that!