[aprssig] KPC2 like a fill in digi

Tom Hayward esarfl at gmail.com
Tue Mar 27 13:03:07 EDT 2012

For aprs.fi to accurately determine the path of a packet, each
digipeater must support callsign substitution. When you use the UIDIGI
command found in more sophisticated digipeater software, the
digipeater callsign is inserted into the path when it digipeats the
packet.

If your TNC supports UIDIGI, you would program it like this:
UIDIGI ON WIDE1-1

And then it would mark packets like this:
in: KD7LXL>APRS,WIDE1-1:
out: KD7LXL>APRS,5K3PRS-3,WIDE1*:

The KPC2 does not have the UIDIGI command. The alternative is to use
the MYALIAS command instead. When the above packet is digipeated with
the MYALIAS function, it will look like this:

KD7LXL>APRS,WIDE1-1*:

Your KPC2 does not leave any information that 5K3PRS-3 digipeated the
packet! aprs.fi does not know who digipeated the packet, so it does
not draw a line.

Tom KD7LXL