[aprssig] Annual Golden Packet Attempt in 3 weeks!

Bob Bruninga bruninga at usna.edu
Fri Jun 29 19:44:47 EDT 2012

Drive or hike to the top of a USA mountain 3 Sundays from now on the 22nd of
July, noon to 4 PM and join the annual Golden Packet attempt.

* See http://aprs.org/at-golden-packet.html for east coast
* or http://aprs.org/pct-golden-packet.html for west coast

We need you with your D700/D710 or D72 to drive/hike to the top of some of
the highest mountains in the USA and set up as a portable APRS digipeater to
see if we can link a Golden Text Packet across thousands of miles.

There is an attempt along the Appalachian Trail from Alabama to Maine and
along the Pacific Crest trail from San Diego to Seattle.  Another great path
is along the Continental Divide Trail or the National Trail (Lewis and
Clark).  Good portable stations are needed on many mountain tops!  See the
above web pages for the planning.

IN particular we need stations in the East:

* Mt Katahdin, ME
* Sugarloaf, ME
* MT Washington, NH
* Central NH
* Mt Greylock, MA
* Sam's PT, NY
* Camelback, NJ
* Governor Dick Hill, PA
* Maryland Mountains
* Hawksbill, VA
* Apple Orchard MTN, VA
* Comers Rock, VA
* Roan MTN, NC
* Clingmans Dome,TN
* Springer Mountain, GA
* Lookout MTN, TN
* Huntsville, AL
* Atlanta, GA
* and more?

Out west we need:
* Seattle, WA
* Signal Peak, WA
* Wolf MTN, OR
* Crater Lake, OR
* Mt Eddy, CA
* St John Mtn, CA
* Arnold, CA
* Pacheco Pass, CA
* Joprdan Peak, CA
* MT Pinos, CA
* San Gorgonio, CA
* Tacate Peak, CA
* San Diego, CA
* and More

There is also a new group setting up along the North Country Trail in
Michigan.  APRS texting DX is the game.  Trails are the excuse, Mountains
make it happen across valleys!

Not just any mountain, these mountains have been carefully chosen to provide
nearly 100 mile range in both directions with clear shots across valleys to
the next site in the Chain.

If you can man one (with redundant backup) let us know.

Bob, Wb4APR