[aprssig] Is FireNet Down?

Gerry Creager gerry.creager at gmail.com
Wed Jun 27 15:53:03 EDT 2012

All,

I've been trying to start organizing a move to minimize downtime. I
will announce the move prior to its actual occurance: Right now there
SHOULD be nothing to worry about.

I have changed employment. I'm no longer at Texas A&M, and I'm winding
down my servers there, moving them to the University of Oklahoma. I've
taken a position in the Cooperative Institute for Mesoscale
Meteorological Studies, supporting forecasting research at NOAA's
National Severe Storms Lab.

The servers are currently safe and sound at A&M. I've an agreement
that they're not going to be taken out of service, and will be
maintained, until I can get things going up here.

Current plans are to move all servers to new Virtual Machines here at
OU.edu. When they're ready, I'll put images and configs on, coordinate
the configs, and sync things up. I'll troubleshoot all config problems
before the next step.

After things are debugged, and configs are stable, and VMs are backed
up for portability, I'll coordinate the DNS changes with Steve Dimse
and the other Core sys admins. List notification to aprssig and cwop
will occur at least a week prior to the change with a solid planned
cut-over date.

I've been experimenting with linux/kvm VMs for these services, and
they've worked very well. I anticipate no real problems in this
instance.

I apologize for the firenet problem. I'm trying to get the sys admins
at A&M to check on that system for me now.

73 gerry N5JXS

On Wed, Jun 27, 2012 at 10:01 AM, Stephen H. Smith <wa8lmf2 at aol.com> wrote:
> This morning (27 June - 9:00 AM Eastern), I'm observing endless unsuccessful
> attempts by my 30M HF  APRS igate/webserver to reconnect to
> firenet.us:14580 .
>
> The central Michigan VHF webserver/igate is having no problems with it's
> usual connection to  second.aprs.net:14580 so it doesn't seem to be the
> Internet connection at my end.

> --
>
> Stephen H. Smith    wa8lmf (at) aol.com
> Skype:        WA8LMF
> Home Page:          http://wa8lmf.net
>

> High-Performance Software-Only Packet TNC
> http://wa8lmf.net/miscinfo/UZ7HO-Soundmodem-Install-Ver-0.44-Beta.exe
>
> High Quality Calibrated Static Maps for Any APRS App
>   http://wa8lmf.net/aprs/PM9_StaticMap_Export.htm
>
>  Vista & Win7 Install Issues for UI-View and Precision Mapping
>    http://wa8lmf.net/aprs/UIview_Notes.htm#VistaWin7
>

> "APRS 101"  Explanation of APRS Path Selection & Digipeating
>  http://wa8lmf.net/DigiPaths

Gerry Creager N5JXS
OU/CIMMS
NSSL