[aprssig] APRS propagation monitor

Stephen H. Smith wa8lmf2 at aol.com
Wed Jun 6 16:49:44 EDT 2012

On 6/6/2012 4:41 PM, Patrick Wood wrote:
> But therein lies the flaw in your test.  When you use good hardware,
> then it is unlikely to be a problem.  When you use the junk soundcard
> chips on most motherboards you will likely get a totally different
> result.

> On Wed, Jun 6, 2012 at 4:30 PM, Stephen H. Smith<wa8lmf2 at aol.com>  wrote:
>> By the way, the sound system used for these tests was a Griffin Electronics
>> "iMic" external USB-connected sound system that is far superior to the junk
>> noisy motherboard-based sound systems in most PCs.    Details on the iMic
>> here on my website:
>>
>> .<http://wa8lmf.net/ham/imic.htm>

The iMic is a reasonably-priced gadget (about $25-$30).  The motherboard-based
sound systems on most cheap PCs are so awful, I wouldn't consider using them in
any case where a reasonable alternative exists.

Junk sound systems are an epidemic problem especially on SSTV where clueless
newbies simply WON'T CALIBRATE apps like mmSSTV to compensate for the sometimes
100s of parts-per-million sampling error rates.   (Sampling errors result is
severely-slanted SSTV pics at the other end.)    mmSSTV provides a very easy
cal routine that involves listening to WWV's ticks while displaying them on a
special display screen, but at least 90% of mmSSTV users never bother to use it.

The iMic's sample rate calibration out-of-the-box is virtually perfect - no
calibration drill needed.