[aprssig] "Controlling" things with APRS

Tom Hayward esarfl at gmail.com
Fri Jul 13 12:06:32 EDT 2012

On Thu, Jul 12, 2012 at 6:50 PM, Stephen - K1LNX <k1lnx at k1lnx.net> wrote:
> I have a KPC-3+ in digi mode and I have been looking at the telemetry
> options as well as the control outputs available. I have seen the "CTRL"
> option in the KPC-3 manual, but I would like to take this further. I
> would like the ability to send a specially crafted APRS packet/message
> to my TNC and have the "CTRL" on or off accordingly. Security is the
> first thing that comes to mind as anyone watching the on-air activity
> could easily duplicate the packet as well. There's always the remote
> control option as well, but I like the idea of sending a single packet
> that I could pre-program in an HT for example to simply switch something
> on or off.

I don't believe the KPC-3+ can do all these things.

The Argent Data Tracker2 (and new Tracker3) supports all of these features.

Digipeating:
http://wiki.argentdata.com/index.php?title=Digipeater_Setup

Telemetry:
http://wiki.argentdata.com/index.php?title=Telemetry

Control via APRS message; single-use passwords prevent unauthorized access:
http://wiki.argentdata.com/index.php?title=Authentication

Unfortunately, there's only one switched output on the Tracker2, but
it sounds like this will be enough for you. Just send the POWER ON or
POWER OFF command in an APRS message. The Tracker3 may be capable of
more switching via the digital i/o port, but the manual is vague on
this feature (I suspect digital i/o is not yet implemented in the
software). http://www.argentdata.com/support/tracker3_manual.pdf

Tom KD7LXL