[aprssig] 30M APRS and digipeaters...

Bill Vodall wa7nwp at gmail.com
Thu Jul 12 12:42:00 EDT 2012

On Thu, Jul 12, 2012 at 8:37 AM, Bob Bruninga <bruninga at usna.edu> wrote:
> Yes, I agree fully.  We never want digipeating on HF.  It just adds QRM to
> everyone and cuts throughput in HALF on an already slow channel.  Now if I
> was SINKING and in a MAYDAY situation, then I might digipeat, because in an
> emergency ANYTHING might help even though it does IMPACT everyone else.
>
> But ONLY in emergencies.  Othwewise the recommendation for APRS packet was
> NO DIGIPEATING.
>
> Thanks for bringing this up.
> Bob, WB4aPR

When was the last time you were on HF APRS Bob?    Theory and old
experience is one thing but real activity on the air today is another.
  Band conditions are at the best marginal.  There are few users
generating few packets.   To generalize and say "NO DIGIPEATING"
without looking at the whole picture is not accurate.    Like on VHF,
the plan and recommendation has to follow the conditions and activity.

Yes - I was the one that pinged Keith off line about (appropriate)  HF
digipeating being a good thing...   It is!

I got my start on APRS on HF in the mid 90's...    I've a history of
monitoring for years - years ago.   And I've been listening the past
month or so on the 30 meter HF channel with the incredible new UZ7HO
soundcard modem for packet and APRS-Messenger for PSK*-APRS.   There
is very little activity and with out the basic digi scheme folks are
using I'd see even less...

We do need an updated modern best operating practice for HF operation.
  We should either revisit the ECHO/GATE scheme or move to a new
scheme closer to something like the WIDEn-N used on VHF.

73
Bill - WA7NWP