[aprssig] 30M APRS and digipeaters...

Lynn W. Deffenbaugh (Mr) ldeffenb at homeside.to
Thu Jul 12 11:44:44 EDT 2012

On 7/12/2012 11:37 AM, Bob Bruninga wrote:
> Yes, I agree fully.  We never want digipeating on HF.  It just adds QRM to
> everyone and cuts throughput in HALF on an already slow channel.  Now if I
> was SINKING and in a MAYDAY situation, then I might digipeat, because in an
> emergency ANYTHING might help even though it does IMPACT everyone else.
>
> But ONLY in emergencies.  Othwewise the recommendation for APRS packet was
> NO DIGIPEATING.

I hate to pick at details, but does this mean to not set up digipeaters
on HF, or to not request a digipeat in your transmitted path?  It would
seem more like the latter because otherwise there'd be no digipeaters
around even if you wanted to use one for some reason.

And the logical follow-on, based on the response I read from the
European station, is what alias is supposed to be used if a digipeater
is configured, but hopefully only used in extreme duress?  I've seen
ECHO documented on HF APRS most often, but I also see that APRS
Messenger is doing some WIDE* stuff and the mention was made for WIDE2
or some-such earlier today.

Lynn (D) - KJ4ERJ - Just trying to learn the details from those that know