[aprssig] 30M APRS and digipeaters...

Stephen H. Smith wa8lmf2 at aol.com
Thu Jul 12 02:14:26 EDT 2012

On 7/11/2012 9:11 PM, Keith VE7GDH wrote:
> What are the current thoughts about digipeaters and APRS on HF,
> specifically on 30M? My understanding was that digipeaters would
> be a bad thing... i.e. if there is propagation, everyone would hear
> everything, and the digipeated beacons would just be QRM and
> take up bandwidth and time slots. I was basically saying iGates
> (properly configured) good, digipeaters evil.
>
> I ask because I said on another list that having a 30M APRS digi
> would not be a good thing and received one contrary (off list) reply.

1)    Propagation does not ensure everyone hears everyone.  On 30M, depending
on solar activity and time of day, one can have a dead ("skip") zone of
300-1000 miles around your station where you can't hear any nearby stations at
all. Ironically, stations can be "too close" to hear each other.

 From my QTH in central Michigan, I frequently hear stations in the midwest or
mid south (Wisconsin, Illinois, Kentucky, etc -- range of  200-500 miles)
bouncing off digipeaters on the east coast twice as far away as they are, --
but I don't hear them direct at all. Other times, I won't hear the east coast
stations at all, but do hear them digipeated by VE4GLS in Winnipeg, MB.

Still other times I have heard W6OTH in the California bay area digipeated by
W7 stations in the Pacific Northwest, but not direct, even though they are just
about the same distance from me, but on different headings.

Since this behavior is so unpredictable, digipeating has little value for
consistently enabling two-way contact between specific stations.  On the other
hand, for transmit-only mobile trackers on 30M, spraying packets around
randomly every-which-way can maximize the  chance of hitting an igate station
SOMEWHERE in North America regardless of propagation.

(Although I agree that the ultimate diversity receiving system on 30M would be
lots more geographically-dispersed igates to accommodate changing propagation -
currently they tend to be mostly bunched up on the two coasts.  We need more in
places like Salt Lake City, Denver, Omaha, Calgary, Sault Ste Marie, etc where
500-1000 mile skip distances would cover most of the North American interior
when coastal stations aren't being heard. )

Many times I have been parked outside a motel room in western Nebraska, or in
canyons in central Colorado, or the interior of Utah or Nevada where there is
absolutely NOTHING on two meters. Monitoring findu.com or APRS.fi from the
motel's (or McDonalds) wi-fi, I can pop off a posit on 30M from the mobile, and
least 90-95 percent of the time, it will immediately show up on the Internet.
Over a span of a couple of hours, I have seen the igate station shift from
California to the Pacific northwest to the midwestern heartland in Chicago, Des
Moines or St Louis, with the path showing digipeats sometimes and not others.

Two years ago, I made a vacation trip from my then-home in Pasadena, CA up I-5
to Vancouver, BC, then over the Canadian Rockies to Banff, then straight south,
re-entering the US in northern Idaho, and then down through eastern Washington
and Oregon to Reno & Lake Tahoe.   In other words, thousands of mile of driving
in some very empty places.    Two meters was non-existent on about half the
trip.   The APRS.fi  track line on 30 meters was almost continuous, with igate
points-of-entery literally in every corner of North America!

I will be repeating this kind of trip in about two weeks.   I'm heading from
central MI to Everygreen, CO for the annual jazz festival the last weekend of
July.  Then onward to Las Vegas & southern Cal, then up I-5 to Sacramento after
an outing with a friend to the central CA coast.   After a week or so in Sac, I
will head east over the Sierras to Lake Tahoe and then US-50 ("the loneliest
road in America") across the Nevada & Utah interior back to Colorado before the
final stretch back to MI. This trip will take most of August.

As I always do, I will be beaconing as:

o    WA8LMF (no SSID) on two meters.

o    WA8LMF-2 on 30 meter conventional AX.25 APRS.

o    WA8LFM-63 on the new 30-meter APRS-over-PSK/GMSK/MFSK16.

With the different SSIDs, you can compare the relative coverage of the two
bands, and of the two modes on 30 meters.

2)   In the beginning (some 2 decades ago), 30M HF APRS activity started
primarily to support mobile beacons in remote areas. Many 30-meter fixed
stations used Kantronics KAM dual-port TNCs to gateway received 30M traffic
over to two meters where normal 2M igates would pass the traffic to the
Internet.   (The KAM's internal firmware can do this stand-alone with no PC
required if the HF user places the keyword "GATE" in their APRS path.)   To
distinguish between HF and VHF digipeating,  "ECHO" was adopted as the UNPROTO
path component for HF digipeat hops, instead of the usual VHF "WIDE" or
WIDEn-N".   Early adopters would use a path setting like
.     APRS via ECHO, GATE,WIDE2-2.

All the "old-timer" fixed stations respond to ECHO .   However many recent
arrivals from two meters are now, through ignorance, configuring digis to
respond to the VHF convention of WIDE instead.   It's now a complete mess, with
about half the 30M fixed stations using ECHO and about half using some variant
of WIDE.

I've seen HF mobiles using insane paths like "APRS via WIDE3-3,ECHO,GATE" which
virtually GUARANTEES they won't get gated since the probability of making FOUR
hops on HF is zero.

To add to this mess, the author of the new APRS-over-digimodes PSK/GMSK/MFSK16
program "APRS Messenger" has hardwired a digipath setting of WIDE2-1 into the
program. You can toggle the digipeater function on or off,   and you can toggle
the WIDE2-1 hop on or off in your own transmissions (there's a check box
"Digipeat Me") -- BUT -- you can't change the digipeat path setting!    This is
further encouraging newcomers to try to use digipeating on HF.

Stephen H. Smith    wa8lmf (at) aol.com
Skype:        WA8LMF
Home Page:          http://wa8lmf.net

High-Performance Software-Only Packet TNC
http://wa8lmf.net/miscinfo/UZ7HO-Soundmodem-Install-Ver-0.44-Beta.exe

High Quality Calibrated Static Maps for Any APRS App
    http://wa8lmf.net/aprs/PM9_StaticMap_Export.htm

  Vista & Win7 Install Issues for UI-View and Precision Mapping
     http://wa8lmf.net/aprs/UIview_Notes.htm#VistaWin7

   http://wa8lmf.net/DigiPaths