[aprssig] New tablet usable for APRS.

Tom Russo russo at bogodyn.org
Tue Jan 31 11:29:11 EST 2012

On Tue, Jan 31, 2012 at 08:32:25AM -0500, we recorded a bogon-computron collision of the <skyssx at gmail.com> flavor, containing:
>    [1]http://arstechnica.com/gadgets/news/2012/01/new-kde-tablet-to-liberate-linux-enthusiasts-from-walled-garden.ars?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+arstechnica%2Findex+%28Ars+Technica+-+Featured+Content%29
>    Install Xastir, problem solved?

It isn't running a full Linux with an X server, as I read that article.  It's
a fork of Mee-Go, which is only "Linux-based"  (i.e. it has a Linux kernel, in
the same way that Android does).  They support Qt and QML --- neither of which
requires an X server (FWIW, there is a Qt port to Android, too).

Xastir wouldn't work on this unless one ported the X server, too.  That is
not a likely option.

If one were to write a Qt-based APRS client, it could be truly cross-platform.
But so far I haven't seen one.