[aprssig] Really CHEAP Puck-type USB GPS Receiver -- WORKS GREAT!

Heikki Hannikainen hessu at hes.iki.fi
Sun Jan 29 03:42:22 EST 2012

Arnie might actually be looking for W3C Geolocation API Specification,
which allows a web page to ask the web browser for the current location
using JavaScript. On mobile devices with GPS and/or network-based
positioning the position will actually be accurate, and can be uploaded to
the server using AJAX.

http://dev.w3.org/geo/api/spec-source.html

This is what the "center on my current location" (crosshair) button and
"publish my current location" (the antenna tower) tool buttons in the top
right corner of aprs.fi use for getting the visitor's location.

http://wiki.ham.fi/Aprs.fi_Web_stations#Updating_using_a_mobile_phone_or_an_iPad_with_a_GPS

It also works to some degree on many laptops with WIFI (using the known
locations of wifi access points), and especially well on ipads, iphones
and android phones.

On Sat, 28 Jan 2012, Lynn W. Deffenbaugh (Mr) wrote:

> Hm, run a local APRS-IS client like APRSIS32?  What web server would be
> expecting raw NMEA GPS?  I'm still trying to understand the application when
> there would be very very few people actually running such a GPS?

> On 1/28/2012 5:53 PM, Arnie Shore wrote:
>> To pass that data to the web server for position data extraction.

   - Hessu