[aprssig] Really CHEAP Puck-type USB GPS Receiver

Stephen H. Smith wa8lmf2 at aol.com
Sat Jan 21 14:23:57 EST 2012

On 1/21/2012 1:00 PM, Larry McDavid wrote:
> Steve, would this GPS unit work immediately stand-alone with PM V9
> (non-APRS)? That is, would PM V9 recognize its USB connection?
>
> Larry

Again, for the umpteeth time,   virtually *NO* standard mapping or APRS
application program recognizes USB devices natively.   They only interact with
classic SERIAL com ports.   You  MUST-MUST-MUST install the appropriate driver
to intercept the USB stream and create a virtual (simulated) serial port.

This is OUTSIDE of any particular application.  The (simulated) serial COM port
then outputs a standard NMEA-0183 data stream (even if the GPS itself outputs
some sort of proprietary binary format) that "fools" applications into thinking
they are talking to a classic NMEA GPS connected to a classic RS-232 serial COM
port.  This will be true of ANY USB GPS device.

Once that is done, there is absolutely no difference in how this GPS would work
with an APRS application vs a non-APRS "civilian" app like Precision Mapping
(or MapPoint, or Street Atlas or TopoUSA or Streets & Trips, etc).   As long as
you can make the USB device "quack like a classic RS-232 serial COM port", it
will work with ANY of them.

Note that is this also true of APRSpoint, despite the borderline-fraudulent
claim on it's web site that it "works with USB GPSes".  You MUST have a
vender-specific USB-->serial emulation driver installed first.

[There is ONE exception to this general statement.  Current Delorme programs
such as TopoUSA and Street Atlas WILL work directly with Delorme's own
USB-connected EarthMate GPS units.   Delorme offers offers, as a downloadable
freebie from their website, a Serial Port Emulator driver to allow their
proprietary USB GPS units to work with non-Delorme programs.]

In fact, you might want to follow up the USB-->Virtual Serial driver with the
FREEware utility XPort.  XPORt can intercept a serial port (either physical or
virtual) and create up to EIGHT more virtual com ports so  that more than one
program can use the GPS at the SAME TIME.

With XPort, I have routinely had USB GPSes plugged into my mobile laptop,
feeding serial port inputs on UIview, APRSpoint, TopoUSA, MapPoint and the
Visual GPS monitor utility simultaneously.   (This is on a Panasonic Toughbook
laptop with 1GB RAM and a 1.6 GHz Celeron CPU.)

Get the FREEWARE XPort here:

. <http://www.curioustech.net/xport.html>

> On 1/21/2012 7:57 AM, Stephen H. Smith wrote:
>> On 1/20/2012 10:56 PM, Steve Noskowicz wrote:
>>> Note that he says "a computer-based APRS or mapping program"
>>> ... COMPUTER BASED...

Stephen H. Smith    wa8lmf (at) aol.com
Skype:        WA8LMF
Home Page:          http://wa8lmf.net

*****  NEW   Precision Mapping 9 For UIview Released! *****
    http://wa8lmf.net/aprs/PMap9_Notes.htm

  Vista & Win7 Install Issues for UI-View and Precision Mapping
     http://wa8lmf.net/aprs/UIview_Notes.htm#VistaWin7

30-meter HF APRS over PSK63
    http://wa8lmf.net/APRS_PSK63/index.htm

   http://wa8lmf.net/DigiPaths