[aprssig] Really CHEAP Puck-type USB GPS Receiver

Sander Pool sander_pool at pobox.com
Sat Jan 21 13:03:22 EST 2012

The BR-355 I mentioned before is a serial mouse GPS for which you can
buy a USB converter or DB-9 adapter (not a level converter) with PS2
plug for power.

http://www.usglobalsat.com/p-57-br-355-gps.aspx

These are still available and not expensive. I have one on order without
cables so I can integrate the module into my D710. Its native output is
RS-232 NMEA at 4800 baud, exactly what I need.  It's not quite the
TTL-out type you're talking about but it's close.

For my netbook I use a BT GPS mouse. They were pricey when I bought mine
but they're cheap now. Mine can be powered with a standard USB cable so
I'm not concerned with the battery running out. Enterprising folk can
combine TTL GPS modules with $10 BT boards to homebrew these types of
solutions but frankly at current prices it's probably not worth the
trouble. I do have a few of those BT boards waiting for other
applications though such as adding BT to my D710 to make it a wireless
TNC :)

73,

     Sander W1SOP