[aprssig] OT: Yaesu to release digital amateur radio gear

Amateur Radio WB8NUT duffy at wb8nut.com
Tue Jan 10 06:38:14 EST 2012

Seems you are the first person to offer that explanation. Please provide
a source to back-up that statement as nothing I have read in the past
shows it was developed by anyone for any reason other than amateur radio.

As for D-Star being developed specifically for amateur radio, from
Wikipedia:

 >>> *D-STAR*(*Digital Smart Technologies for Amateur Radio*) is a
digital voice and data protocol specification developed as the result of
research by theJapan Amateur Radio League
<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Japan_Amateur_Radio_League>to investigate
digital technologies foramateur radio
<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Amateur_radio>. While there are other
digital on-air technologies being used by amateurs that have come from
other services, D-Star is one of the first on-air andpacket
<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Packet_%28information_technology%29>-based
standards to be widely deployed and sold by a major radio manufacturer
that is designed specifically for amateur service use.<<<

Duffy
www.wb8nut.com