[aprssig] Interesting. CQ Server sounds like Twitter

Steve Noskowicz noskosteve at yahoo.com
Mon Jan 9 23:05:43 EST 2012

An idea...
  Needing a break from simultaneous crashed hard drive re-build, a new computer shake-out and new computer spousal-training, I listened to the complete Tom Ashcroft On Point show about Twitter, it seems to me there's some concepts for APRS-IS services.

  I have no idea about the feasibility, but I'll throw out the concepts.

  The first is a directly equivalent service - APRS-TWITTER.  Perhaps a better name is CHIRP.

   CQ Server is close already.  Using the Twitter model, this server could be made to allow any APRS station to "subscribe" to messages sent by another, specific APRS station.  Send a message to the server with the target stations call "subscribes" to his APRS-TWEETS.  Perhaps a message TO: CHIRP with text "FOLLOW", or more in the ham area "COPY" and the target stations CALL-SSID.
The" followed" station sends CHIRP messages (Chirps) to the server and all stations following him receive the messages just like CQ server. To maximize message length ,the Message "TO"  should be short, perhaps even just a "@".  TO:@
  I also see it is similar to Bulletins and Groups, but on a world-wide level.  Client software would also enhance usefulness.

  Now it is easy to see why someone would ask, WHY?  All I can say at this point is that the same question was asked five years ago about Twitter.

  Straining for ways to use it...
 At a hamfest to announce raffle numbers.
 At hamfests announce when seminars (events) are start starting.
 Tweet-like updates for Balloon launches (keep it in the Ham domain rather than on Twitter or Yahoo Groups)
  Obviouslly Tweet-like updates for anything Ham related.
  Club notices.
  NWS alerts.
  A sever could be set up to monitor traffic conditions/reports then a traveling ham subscribes.

I haven't given this a lot of thought to figure out who it differs from Bulletins and Groups, or CQSERVER since some of these could be handled by them.   The setup would be different and uses should be more global in nature.

  The second occurred as I started to write this.  A service that parallels the email server, but to Twitter rather than emailing -  an APRS link actually into Twitter.
  Going the other way probably doesn't make as much sense because it has the same problems as receiving email via APRS and using the APRSlink model looses the immediate update Twitter model.
  Like sending an email, sending a message TO:TWEET routes the message to your Twitter handle.  You would send a special message to set up that link by specifying your Twitter handle to the server.  Or perhaps send TO:@handle.
    I suppose allowing multi messages to fill the Twitter buffer.  TO:TWEET-1, TO:TWEET-2, to get to the full hundred plus characters.

  Also it is clear that this would work better with a touch-keyboard interface.  This appears to make it a natural for a smart phone app.

  Anyway...just some ideas.  In addition, a realize this is following other technologyrather than leading, but it's an idea.  Perhaps there's a modification that makes more sense or fits into ham radio better...perhaps not.
--
73, Steve, K9DCI
 Back to the computer business...