[aprssig] OT: Yaesu to release digital amateur radio gear

Al Wolfe alw.k9si at gmail.com
Mon Jan 9 21:10:30 EST 2012

I have decided that the real reason for Echo Link, D-Star, etc, is so that
Technicians can work DX. I can see no other real use for these modes.

It has taken me some time to come to this conclusion. I have been using APRS
since 1996 and see it still has some use. I spent $1500 on D-Star rigs and
wound up giving them away. And the few times that I try to have a
conversation on a local repeater are often interrupted by Echo Link denizens
wanting to know how well we copy them.

While the Internet connections have a place in ham radio, it's been done.
Let's move on. There need to be a place for Internet free radio.

73,
Al, K9SI